About Chennai Tourism
Being the capital city of Tamilnadu, Chennai act as a gateway to enter this amazing state. Counted as one of the 4 metropolitan cities, Chennai or Madras (as it was called earlier) bound the travelers with its irresistible charm. Although the warm weather (during summers) might hold you back but still there is so much to explore here. Lets explore the tourist attractions of Tamilnadu tourism in Chennai.
Tourist Places in Chennai
Adorned with many historical destinations offered by Tamilnadu tourism, Chennai unleashes history with the hands of nature. Every tourist attractions of Chennai tourism takes you to another world of magic and natural charm. Lets explore the Tamilnadu tourism, Chennai city tour.
» The Marina beach: Sit Back And Relax
» St. George Fort: The British Marvel
- The longest beach of the country, Marina is one of the most popular tourist place in Chennai.
- Enjoy the sunset and sunrise while enjoying the luke warm sea water touching your feet.
- If you want to do something extra then visit to the nearby historical places located very near to beach.
- If not then a horseback ride on beach is ideal thing to do here
» Parthasarthy temple: The Sacred Pilgrim Site
- St. George Forte is another major tourist attraction offered by Chennai tourism.
- The British East India Company built it in the year 1653.
- The fort has a museum where you can see the old British and French antiques.
- St. Mary's Church ( known to be the first British church of Chennai ) is also located within the St George fort.
» Kapaleeswarar Temple: The Ancient Marvel
- Parthasarthy temple is one of the oldest temples of Chennai.
- The temple is dedicated to Lord Krishna.
- Built in the 8th century BC by the Pallavas, Parthasarthy temple was rebuilt in the 16th century by the Vijaynagar kings.
» Santhome Cathedral: The Catholic Site
- Kapaleeswarar Temple also known to be a grand old temple of Chennai, is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- 2. The temple is a perfect example of the architectural skills of the Dravidian rulers of the 13th century.
- 3. The one thing to remember here is that non- Hindus are not allowed to enter into the main place of worship in the temple.
» Snake Park and Guindy National Park:
- Santhome Cathedral, built during the 14th -15th century, is another splendid tourist place in Chennai.
- Even the brilliant architecture of the church is worth praising.
located very close to each other and quite near to the Guindy station, are other tourist places to visit in Chennai.
» The Chennai Krishnapuram Temple:
The Birla Planetarium, Elliot Beach, Valluvar Kottam, National Art and
Government Museum, Anna Zoological Park, Kalakshetra and the Theosophical Society are some of the eminent sites and
focal points of Chennai tourism.
Chennai Tourism offering Nearby Excursions
» Crocodile bank
- Once the port city of the Pallavas, Mamallapuram or Mahabalipuram is situated at the border of Chennai.
- Located around 61 km away from the main city, it is a great place to see ancient temples.
- A Must Visit For Animal Lovers
» Covelong beach
- Crocodile park was started to sustain the ecological balance of nature and also the population of the crocodiles.
- Located just 44 km away from the main city, it houses many rare species of Indian and African alligators and crocodiles.
- Ideal For Relaxing
» Besides these, Muttukkadu, Thirukkalukundram, Vedanthangal bird sanctuary, etc.,
- Covelong beach is another place worth visiting if you love sea shores a lot.
- The surrounding magnificence of the fort, church, mosque and the seashore are really charming.
are other excursion
destinations to be visited around the city.
Tourism In Chennai - Explore Festive Culture
The true colors of the city come in real spirit during the celebration of different
festivals in the city. The local people and the travelers coming here celebrate
these festivals with same enthusiasm. Most of the festivals are based on the
agricultural activities. Prominent among them is Pongal,
celebrated in the month of January, is the most important festival of Chennai.
Chennai Tourism- Places To Stay
Being the capital city accommodation is never a problem in Chennai.
From luxury hotels to budget hotels you get it all here according to
your budget. The prime hotels of Chennai include;
- Hotel Coromandel - 5 Star Hotel
- Hotel Fisherman - 4 Star Hotel
- Chola Sheraton - 5 Star Hotel
- Park Sheraton - 4 Star Hotel and many more.
How to Reach Chennai
» By Air:
Chennai is an international airport with flight connections to all major parts of the world, Domestic airlines connect Chennai with all the major cities of India.
» By Rail:
Regular train services connect Chennai directly with all major cities of the country. Suburban Electric trains run from Beach station to Tambaram and from Central to Gummidipoondi and Arakonam.
» By Road:
Chennai being gateway to the south is connected by excellent roads to all parts of the south. Taxis, Auto-rickshaws and cycle rickshaws are available. all types of tourist vehicle are easily available on hire.