About Ooty Tourism
The serene location and the cool weather make Ooty a popular hill destination of Tamilnadu tourism. The lush green valleys and the gorgeous Nilgiri mountains all in together double the magic of the city that attracts the travelers from different parts of the world. A popular place among the young honeymooners, lets have what else do Ooty tourism has to offer to you.
Ooty Travel - Explore The Queen of Hills
It was in 1800 that the British came to Ooty and charmed by its natural charm gave it the name of Queens of Hill Stations. And it was the British government officials who constructed the first railway line in the area and made it the summer capital of the Chennai Presidency. The main attraction of the city is the famous Nilgiri tea, that was so much popular among the British government officers. It was for this tea that they came here (for trade).
While here do attend the cultural programmes, and visit the Tea Estates and factories. Come to Nilgiri's, during tea festival, when tea lovers from all over the world come here.
Meet Mother Nature's pampered child!
, the Queen be seated in this heavenly abode remained undiscovered to
the great southern dynasties and it took the British to explore it in the
early 1800s. They were, however, not the first friends of this land as a
tribe called Todas had been living there long before the British came,
claiming that the Nilgiris had been their home since time immemorial. The
British constructed the first railway line in the area and made it the
summer capital of the Chennai Presidency.
The South Indian Tea! with Ooty Tourism
travel offers you the wonderful aroma of South Indian Tea that has gained recognition far and wide. India is the fifth
largest tea producing belt in the world after China. In 1991, South India
exported 50 million kg to over 30 countries. Tea and Tourism Festival is
celebrated in the Nilgiri's Jointly by the Department of Tourism, Government
of Tamil Nadu and Ministry of Tourism, Government of Tamil Nadu and Ministry
of Tourism, Government of India in every January/February. Cultural
programmes, visits to Tea Estates and factories, fun and frolic etc., mark
this celebrations. Come to Nilgiri's, during this festival, when tea lovers
from all over the world converge. An occasion not to be missed.
Places To See In Ooty Tamil Nadu
» Mini Garden : Ideal For Picnic
» Art Gallery : Lalit kala Academy :
- Visit the mini garden (Children's Lake Garden) which is on the way to Boat House and located just 1 km from main city.
- A famous children's amusement park is also located here.
- The park is maintained by Tamil Nadu Tourism Development Corporation Limited .
- The timings are 8 a.m to 6 p.m
» Rose Garden : Feel The Fragrance
- This art gallery is situated about 2 km., from Udhagamandalam ( new name of Ooty ) on the main Mysore road and is well promoted by the Ooty government tourism.
- One can see the various collections of contemporary paintings and sculptures at this gallery.
» Kotagiri : A Famous Hill Destination
- Rose garden is located just 3/4 km. away from the Charring Cross.
- It lies with 10 acres of land and one can see almost 1919 variety of roses here.
- Timings are 8 a.m to 6 p.m
- Kotagiri is located just 31 km. from Udhagamandalam.
- Located 6503 feet above sea level the weather of Kotagiri is very romantic.
- Enjoy a pleasure ride on road adorned with green tea beds on both side.
How To Reach Ooty Tamilnadu
» By Air :
airport is the closest to the Ooty.
» By Rail :
Ooty is connected to the Chennai City by train. The train called as Nilgiris Express
or Blue Mountain Express which leaves from Chennai at night, and reaches Mettupalayam ( from where you can take a toy train ride to Ooty).
» By Road :
This place is very well connected to all major cities via road. The road trip from Coimbatore-Ooty road is the most & frequently traveled and well maintained.
Tamilnadu Tourism Ooty - Where To Stay
Ooty being a famous tourist destination and therefore there are many luxurious as well as budget hotels here. The major hotels include;
- Savoy Hotel - 4 star hotel
- Holiday Inn - 3 star hotel
- The Monarch - 3 star hotel
- Hotel Dasaprakash - 3 star hotel
- Comfort Inn Aruna - Luxury resort. Also avail for exotic Tamilnadu tourism packages to Ooty