Thimmakudy Agraharam, Baburajapuram Post, Thanjavur
Location: Located on the bank of Cauvery river near Tanjore
Accessibility: Trichy Airport: 91.0 KM, Kumbakonam Railway
Station: 4.0 KM
Ideal River View Resort
Address: Vennar river Bank, Pali Agraharam, Thanjavur
Location: Located 3 km away from Thanjavur city.
Accessibility: Tiruchirapalli Airport: 58 km
About Thanjavur Tourism
A world heritage site preserved by UNESCO, Thanjavur or Tanjore is one great destination to see especially for the history lovers. The rock temples located in and around this city are the brilliant example of the architectural marvel of Chola rulers. Located just 55 km from the Tiruchirappalli, a visit to Thanjavur is like taking a walk past the ancient history lanes, when Tamilnadu empire was in its full glory. Lets explore the different facets of this ancient city with Tanjore tourism.
What To See In Thanjavur
Having a great historical significance there is so much to explore here with Thanjavur tourism that you will never get enough of it. Lets have a look.
» Sri Bragadeeswarar Temple - The Architectural Marvel
» The Palace - The Royal Residence
- Built by the great Chola King, Rajaraja I in the 10th century AD the temple is an outstanding example of Chola architecture.
- It is one of the most popular tourist attraction of the Thanjavur tourism.
» Art Gallery - Get To Know The Past
- The Palace near the temple is a vast building of masonry.
- The building was built partly by the Nayaks in 1550 AD and partly by the Marathas in later years.
- Till the rule of Marathas it served as the living residence of the royal families. One good advice here before coming here just confirm the Tanjore palace timings from Tamilnadu tourism site.
» Saraswathi Mahal Library - Read The Ancient Scriptures
- Art Gallery is the perfect place to see the ancient artifacts belonging to different rulers.
- In the Palace there are a number of granite and bronze statues belonging to the Chola period.
- The timings of the art gallery is 9 am to 1 pm and from 2.pm to 6 pm.
» Hall of Music - A Must Visit For Music Lovers
- Want to see the ancient palm leaves and paper manuscripts in Indian and European languages? Then visit the Saraswathi Mahal Library a prized possession of Tanjore tourism.
- These scriptures are well preserved and are open to see for the local people.
- The timings are 10 am to 1 pm and 1.30pm to 5.30pm.
There is also a music hall in the Palace where in the times of Chola the Kings used to enjoy music in the evening with their courtiers.
» Royal Museum - The House of Ancient Artifacts
» Schwartz Church
- Located in the palace complex, Royal museum has mixed collections like manuscripts, weapon dresses
- One can also see utensils, Musical instruments used by the Royal Family of Thanjavur.
- The timings are 9 am to 6 pm.
Built in 1779 AD by Rajah Serfoji in token of his affection for the Rev.
C.V.Schwartz of the Danish Mission.(In the Palace Garden).
» Sivaganga Tank
Near the Palace is this tank known for its sweet water.
» Rajagopala Beerangi - The Fort Site
» Sharja Madi - Enjoy The Nature's View
- In East Kothalam (rampart) of the Fort there is a big place called 'Beerangi Medu'.
- Rajagopala Beerangi has been remarked as "Dasmedu".
- Once upon a time that place was used as a Bell announcement stage.
» Rajarajan Mani Mandapam
- Sharja Madi site is located in the Palace complex.
- Sharja Madi is opened for tourists who can enjoy a complete natural view of Thanjavur city.
- Once here also get to see the ancient wooden sculptures of Chola rulers.
- The timings are 10am to 1pm and 2 pm to 5pm.
» Rajarajan Museum - A Tourists Delight
- Rajarajan Mani was during the 8th World Tamil Conference that this Mandapam was built.
- The Mandapam site have a small garden with Children's-play materials.
- The timings are 10 am to 8 pm.
» Tholkappiyar Sadukkam
- Raja Rajan Museum is a great place to the travelers coming here.
- Located in the Main mandapam ground floor, it is under the control of the State Archaeological Department.
- The timings are 10 am to 5 pm.
During the 8th World Tamil Conference, this Sadukkam(Square) was built. One
can have a panaromic view of Thanjavur Town from the Tower. Timings 9 am to
» Mariamman Temple (Punnai Nallur)
- Mariamman Temple temple site is located 6 km. away from Thanjavur.
- The temple is dedicated to Goddess Mariamman.
- Mariamman is one of the local temples in Thanjavur which attracts Domestic Tourists.
Thanjavur City - Nearby Attractions To See
» Naageswaran Temple - The Mythical Site
» Airavatheeswar Temple - World Heritage Site
- Built around 1005 A.D, Naageswaran Temple is an outstanding symbol of Chola sculpture arts and crafts.
- The temple draws many foreigners who are very much interested in interpreting the rock wall edicts and study the sculptures.
- Naageswaran is located at Kumbakonam, 36 km from Thanjavur.
- Airavatheeswar Temple is an exquisitely built temple located in Dharasuram, 34 km from Thanjavur.
- Dating back to the 12th century AD, the temple has now been recognized as a world heritage monument by UNESCO.
Architectural Marvels Build By Maratha
: A Maratha chattram, named after Muktambal, one of the queens of Sarfoji II, is located here. It is shaped like a chariot and reflects brilliant artsmanship.
: Located 65 km away, it is one of the tallest and the most historic monument built by the Tanjore Marathas. It is an eight-storeyed miniature fortress.
How To Reach Thanjavur Tamilnadu
» By Air :
Thanjavur is easily accessible from other cities of India. In terms of air transport the Tiruchirapalli airport that is 58 km away is the nearest one.
» By Rail :
The city is directly connected with Trichy, Madurai, Nagore, and Chennai
» By Road :
The excellent road network links Thanjavur with the major towns in Tamil Nadu and the neighboring states of Kerala and Karnataka.
Tamilnadu Tourism - Thanjavur Hotels
There are many good luxury and budget hotels offered by Thanjavur tourism where you can choose to stay according to your pocket. Equipped with all the modern facilities a stay at these hotels is a great deal. Here are few of these hotels where you can stay:
Hotel Oriental Towers
- Budget hotel
- 3 Star hotel
- 3 Star hotel
Ideal River View Resort
- 4 Star hotel
- 3 Star hotel and lot more.