About Kodaikanal Hills In Tamilnadu
Located in the lap of Palani hills, is a beautiful and one of the most popular hill stations in Tamilnadu- Kodaikanal. Situated at a height of almost 2100 m, Kodaikanal is immensely blessed with extreme natural beauty. Once here all you have to do is just sit back and relax and enjoy the romantic weather of the place.
Welcome to the playgrounds of nature....Kodaikanal Hills
Arriving in Kodai town, one is enticed by orchards of pear trees with their
graceful branches silhouetted in artistic curves against the evening sky
like stark Zen etchings. Buildings with gabled roof dot the skyline. Broken
fragments of light from the setting sun are caught and kindled in the
wind-rippled water appearing like a myriad lamp floating on the lake. Soon,
as though on cue, lights start twinkling all over the hillside, and even the
stars pick up the message, and heaven and earth are a riot of light, as
though beaming messages of goodwill to each other.
What To See With Kodaikanal Tourism
» The Lake
» Flora & Fauna Museum :
- Spread over an area of 24 hectares, the Lake is a star shaped water body, ideal for boating.
- Walk along the lake side with your partner, for a very romantic escapade.
» Astrophysical Observatory : Kodaikanal
- Flora and fauna museum is a perfect destination for those who love nature.
- Once here you can see about 300 species of orchids and other exotic plants.
built in 1889, this laboratory
stands on the highest point in the area. The observatory is used mainly for
research in meteorology and solar physics. It also houses a small museum.
» Bryant Park :
» Kurinji Andavar Temple :
- Bryant park is located on the eastern side of a beautiful lake offering great view to visitors.
- The main attraction to see here is the annual horticultural show held in May.
» Water Falls :
- Dedicated to Lord Murugan Kurinji is a popular place among devotees.
- The architecture of the temple is worth watching.
there are numerous waterfalls in the area such
as Bear Shola Falls, Silver Cascade, Fairy Falls and Glen Falls, which are
popular picnic spots.
» Coaker's Walk :
is a one kilometer walk from the lake that
offers good views. It derives its name from Lt. Coaker, who had prepared the
map of Kodaikanal. There is a Telescope House here from where visitors can
have a panoramic view of the valley and nearby township.
» Pillar Rocks :
- Located about 7km from the lake Pillar rock is ideal for adventurers.
- You can indulge in some mountaineering experience here.
How To Reach Kodaikanal :
» By Air :
The nearest airport is at Madurai (120 km from Kodaikanal).
» By Rail :
The nearest railway stations are the Kodai Road Railway Station (80-km) and the Palani Railway Station (64-km).
» By Road :
Kodaikanal is connected by road with Chennai
and other cities. Regular bus services are available from Madurai, Palani, Kodaikanal Road, Theni, Dindigul, Tiruchirapalli, Kumuli (Thekkady) and Coimbatore.
» Local Transport :
Taxis and vans are available for local transportation. There are no auto-rickshaws in Kodaikanal.
Relevance of the name !
The name Kodaikanal means the "gift of the forest". Situated in the
state of Tamil Nadu, among the Palani Hills, Kodaikanal Hill Station is one of the
unexplored destinations of southern India. With its intoxicating air,
breathtaking scenery and serenity that you can hardly find in any other Hill
Station, Kodaikanal is an ideal summer resort for the travel buffs of the
Kodaikanal Hill Station Tour & Travel offers good accommodation facilities to the tourists. The TTDC
run Hotel Tamil Nadu on Fern Hill Road is one example where comfortable
accommodation is provided to tourists.