Fast Facts : Ooty Udhagamandalam Tourism
Summer-Light Woolen;Winter-Heavy Woolen
Tamil, Kannada, Mallayalam, Hindi and English
About Ooty Hill Station In Tamilnadu
The most scenic and the most popular hill station in Tamilnadu, Ooty or Udhagamandalam is called the 'Queen of hill stations'. The best thing about this destination is its romantic weather, that can make anyone fall in love with it. This is one main reason that vacations come here from different parts of the world. Even adventure lovers can try out different adventure sports in Nilgiri hills in Ooty.
Tourist Attractions of Ooty Tourism
» Botanical Garden :
» Government Museum :
- If you love to see different kinds of plants and flowers then Botanical garden is perfect for you.
- Come here in May for the famous Flower Show.
- The main attraction of the park is a fossil tree trunk which is proved to be more than 20 million years old.
» The Mukurthi Peak & Mukurthi National Park :
- A perfect place for all those who love history.
- Get to know more about the rich ancient past of Tamilnadu at this museum.
- Come here to see the old tribal artifacts, district's ecological details and representative sculptural arts.
» St. Stephen's Church :
- A place especially for the wildlife lovers.
- Located about 40 Km from Ooty Mukurthi national park is a nice place to see Nilgiri Thar.
- Also visit the famous silent Valley located on the Western side of these ranges.
» Pykara :
- Visit one of the oldest church of South India, St. Stephen's Church.
- The best thing to see here are the stained-glass painting on the Eastern side.
- You can also see the Last Supper on the Western wall above the paneled doorways.
Situated about 21 Kms/13 Mile on the Ooty-Mysore Road, boasts of well
protected fenced Sholas, Todas settlement, undisturbed grassy meadows and
also a good wildlife habitat. The Pykara Dam and the reservoir attracts many
» Madumalai Wildlife Sanctuary :
Madumalai Wildlife Sanctuary is situated in the Nilgiri's District
bordering Kerala as well as Karnataka State. The park is situated at an
altitude of 1000 meters and covers an area of 321 sq. kms. The main fauna
species found here are Elephant, Gaur, Tiger, Panther, Sambar, Spotted Deer,
Barking Deer, Mouse, Wild Boar, Parcupine etc.
» Doddabetta :
Doddabetta is the highest peak (2623 meters) in the Nilgiri's and is only
10 km away from Ooty
. Lying at the junction of Western & Eastern Ghats,
it is a must vist attractions for all tourists. The lofty heights of
Doddabetta offers beautiful vistas of the Nilgiri Hills ranges. There is
also a telescope house run by TTDC.
Fast Facts : Ooty Udhagamandalam
- Area :- 36 sq. k.m
- Population :- About 80,000
- Clothing :- Summer-Light Woolen;Winter-Heavy Woolen
- Language :- Tamil, Kannada, Mallayalam, Hindi and English
- STD Code :- 0423
What to shop :
Some ofthe most sought after items in Ooty
are Eucalyptus oil, Honey,
Cinchona products, coffee and Tea. Most of the shops are open from 9 am to
Municipal Market, Co-operative Super Market and Upper and Lower
Bazaar Roads are the main shopping destinations of Ooty.
How To Reach Ooty : Famous Hill Station In Tamilnadu
» By Air :
Coimbatore at a distance of 100 Km is the nearest airport which is connected to Chennai, Mumbai and Bangalore.
» By Road :
Ooty is connected by good motorable road to Chennai
and Coimbatore. There are regular bus services connecting Ooty to Coimbatore, Trichy and Bangalore
» By Rail :
Ooty on the narrow gauge railway is connected to Mettupalayam which is directly connected to Coimbatore and Chennai.
» Distance of Ooty From Other Cities :
- Chennai - 539 k.m
- Bangalore - 290 k.m
- Cochin - 281 k.m
- Coonoor - 13 k.m
- Coimbatore - 98 k.m
- Koidaikanal - 236 k.m
- Yercaud - 237 k.m